I just found this... I had typed all this out on my phone a few weeks ago as I was laying in bed unable to sleep... I thought it was worthy of posting. It's not one of my happier posts, so deal with it :-)
"The ups, mostly downs of 2002. A reflection 10 years later.
Fall 2011 I turned 18 after moving to Tahlequah for what would become a long semester dealing with not only the stress of being a college freshman with a busy schedule, also being an hour away from family and add to that the terrorist attacks of 9-11. Needless to say the Christmas break was a time of reflection and renewal. January 2002 came along, and soon the news of cancer struck our family. My moms best friend of 20+ years (which also happened lived across the street from us at the time) was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Her daughter was about to turn 10 years old. She was basically like a little sister to me, as we had been together seemingly every day of our lives. Mixed with the not-so-fun times at NSU, and the news of what was to come with Patty, I made the decision not to go back to NSU. Instead, Maranda and I drove to Tahlequah, packed my stuff to the roof of my Explorer and headed back home where I needed to be. Maranda went back to Stillwater, and I enrolled at TCC with plans to move to Stillwater the next semester. Little did we know in April that Maranda's dad would suddenly pass away. Thankfully I was able to be around and support her through that time because I was in Sand Springs and not in Tahlequah. All the while helping with everything I could for Patty & Alecia. Patty continued to battle and hospice was called in June or July. I had plans to be a counselor at a church camp (Camp Egan) the week of July 29th. Before heading out on Sunday the 28th, I went to see Patty for the last time. She was pretty out of it by this point. It had been at least a week since she called me Brat Child. HaHa. Anyway, she squeezed my hand, I hugged her neck, and knew it would be the last time I saw her on this earth. I was torn heading to church camp, but knew this was where I should be. That Tuesday, July 30th, I received the call, Patty had taken her last breath. My heart ached for my aunt Patty. For my mom losing her best friend of 20+ years. For the innocent 10 year old girl left to face this cruel world without her mom."
Glad to report that I have connected with Alecia and have really rekindled our special bond. She has grown up to be one of the most amazing beautiful young women. She's 20 now, a Jr in college at Oklahoma State (after going to NSU her first year, sounds like me) and I could not be more proud of her!
No comments:
Post a Comment