Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Transfer, Home, and The Call

9/3/2012 - The Day Of The Transfer
We strolled down the turnpike anxiously. We checked in at the front office and they brought us to the back. It was the same three couples in the pre/post op all divided by paper thin curtains. The awkward lab tech lady gave me instructions on getting undressed/etc. No IV's were needed this day because it does not require anesthetics. Dustin was given a super cute disposable set of scrubs, complete with mask and hair net. Dustin was apparently VERY excited, because although we knew it would be a little while, he went ahead and put the mask on anyway. One couple had already gone back, and they were currently in their one-hour-lay-flat-mode. The other couple in the room right next to us were next in line. The wife was tearing up already. Blame it on the hormones, anxiety, whatever, I was not far from her. They wheeled them back, we hear a few laughs, and what seems like seconds later they're wheeling her back in. Her husband was hilarious and kept sighing and saying it was the quickest and the best ever conception. The wife was still fighting back tears, and it was her turn to wait an hour. They swapped everything out and next was our turn. All-in-all we sat back there about 20 minutes before our time to go back. Did I mention it was a holiday? It was nice, because it was very low key that day everyone was on a holiday pace. I liked it. It wasn't so hustle-and-bustle. The very sweet nurse came and wheeled me down the hallway and into the surgical room (which by the way was only a few feet from the pre/post-op area which is why we could hear the other couples laughing). The doctor that day was not my regular doctor, but he was amazing. Dr. Reshef was his name. And he explained everything step-by-step. He asked the lab tech to bring out the embryos and confirmed they were ours. The transfer process took about 2.5 seconds, and it was over. He made some light jokes, but was just very informative. Off we went back to the waiting area. It was our turn to start the clock for the one our wait. They want you to lay completely flat for one hour after the transfer. By this point the first couple was packing up and heading out. We all yelled our goodbyes from behind the curtain and off they went. Not too long after the next couple was out the door. After our one hour it was time to go. We tried to get a hotel room inside the hospital, but unfortunately all 12 (i think?) rooms were booked, so we had some points to use at a nearby hotel. They wheeled me down to the truck, we drove about 3/4 of a mile, and checked in to the hotel around noon. Next came the bad part: laying completely flat on what we discovered to be a not-so-comfortable bed! I'll leave the hotel name out of this, but if you're needing to stay near Baptist Integris, let me know and I'll tell you which hotel NOT to go to. Dustin got me settled in, and he ran to grab us some lunch. I napped and watched TV, read, played on my iPad, and was bored by 3:00. Dustin had a fantasy football draft coming up in a few hours, so we decided to have him get us dinner beforehand. I also decided I wanted to teach myself to knit, so I sent Dustin to Michaels. He didn't end up getting a knitting kit, but he got me some other yarn based project that was entertaining, but slightly hard to do laying flat (my fault, not his, I told him it would be fine). We made it through the evening and night, and as soon as the sun came up I was ready to roll on home. We ran through and got some breakfast and headed home.

9/4/2012 - Home Sweet Home
We rolled into the driveway that morning, and following all orders I went straight to the bedroom. I said "Dustin, did you make the bed?" he said "nooooo, come here." So I walk into the kitchen, he shows me the fridge, and around the living room. You all already know I have some of THE BEST GIRLFRIENDS IN THE WORLD, but let me tell you, I brokedown in tears. Lindsi and Tricia had come to my house on that Monday, prepped us two meals, cleaned my kitchen, swept all of my floors, made my bed, and even folded my toilet paper over like the housekeeping people do at the hotel :). I walked back into the bedroom once I could finally see through my teary eyes, and Dustin brought in a bouqet of flowers and a sweet sweet note the girls left for us. So, thanks doesn't really say enough, but my goodness THANK YOU GIRLS!

I finally laid down and my-oh-my am I thankful we upgraded our bed last Christmas. What a world of difference. I was a lot more comfortable and made it through the next 24 hours just fine, until I was able to get up and shower on Wednesday, then I was told I should lay down still but did not have to be flat on my back, whew!

Then the waiting game began.... other than shots (i'll get to that in another post) all I had to do was sit. and wait. and wait. for 9 whole days.

9/12/2012 - "The Call"
I went in to have my blood drawn on the morning of the 12th. The plan was then that MaryKatherine the nurse would call us sometime after 2:00. I asked her to wait until 2:30, because I was leaving work at 2:00 to pick up Dustin. So I picked up Dustin and we decided to run a few errands while waiting for the call. We went to the tuxedo shop where he needed to try on his tux for a wedding the following weekend. We decided he shouldn't go in yet though because if MK called while he was in the dressing room that would be bad. So we decided to sit in the car and wait. and wait. and wait. We drove to the mall parking lot and waited some more. I decided I couldn't wait any longer in the car, so we drove to a store to pick out a gift for the wedding. That only killed a few minutes of our time, so we ended up driving back towards the tuxedo shop and at 3:30 THE PHONE RANG!!!! We were just minutes from the tux shop, but MK asked Dustin when his birthday was, he said May 28th, 1980 (thinking this was some sort of identification factor) and MK says "Well I think you're going to have some early birthday presents!! Congratulatuions!!" We just kind of sat there soaking it in, and she said "your HCG is a 108, so we can't rule out twins!" Wow, awesome phone call. So we both welled up, biggest grins on our faces ever, and drove to the tux shop... we needed to get the tux, after all! So Dustin said okay I'm just going to run in real fast, and I said "okay I'm calling people!" So I made several calls and texts to family and closest friends. And wished my sister Kimber a very happy birthday!

Okay that's all for now, I'll update more later.

2 comments:

  1. This made me well up too! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I know how this story goes, I'm all teary-eyed! I love reading the details. (And knowing what to expect on Transfer Day eases some fears.) So excited for you two!!

    ReplyDelete